Skip to content

January BJP is Finished!

February 1, 2010

I finished my January piece for the Bead Journal Project!    I started with a knitted pentagon of my own design.  I have done quite a bit of lace knitting, but haven’t had much time to in the last few years.  So, it was fun to play with it again in a small and creative way.  I just ad-libbed the design as I went along.  I started with 10 stitched in a circular cast-on (using the “magic loop” method which I find easier than double pointed needles).  I continued to increase in a way that would create 5 segments and end up in a pentagon shape.   The tiny silver beads were pre-strung onto the white DMC cotton and I knit a bead into the stitches that I chose to accentuate the pattern.   It is mostly yarn overs and knit two tog. with every other row a plain knit row.  I only had to take out stitches a couple of times and it was because I had forgotten to knit the bead in!  (the whole focus of the project!)  I finished it with a scalloped crochet edge and starched/stretched and pinned it to dry.   I really like the result.  The finished piece is approx. 5 inches along each of the 5 sides.  See all of my posts regarding the Bead Journal Project HERE.  Now I must get thinking about my February piece….

January – knitted lace and beaded pentagon

Advertisements
10 Comments leave one →
  1. February 1, 2010 7:26 pm

It’s stunning! Beautiful and delicate! I am in awe of your ability to do this kind of work.
    Marty S
    Crackpot Beader

2. February 1, 2010 8:37 pm

Oh my, this is so different, and so very lovely.

3. February 1, 2010 10:32 pm

Very beautiful piece! Your lace knitting is exquisite!

4. Arline permalink
    February 1, 2010 11:09 pm

This is beautiful, Pam.. I can only do basic knitting, so seeing this lovely intricate piece is amazing.

5. February 2, 2010 12:21 am

I’m totally impressed. That is so beautiful. You do very good work, can’t wait to see February!

Beth

6. February 2, 2010 9:43 am

Pam, your piece is absolutely beautiful! Will you continue to knit pages? This is a lovely piece. What a wonderful shawl this motif would make!

• pamela penney permalink
      February 2, 2010 9:59 pm

Yes it would be a great motif for a shawl. I hope to find time to do more designing again. I think this was my step to doing that again! I plan to try to do a variety of textile techniques for each of the pentagons. I enjoy doing a lot of different things!

thanks for checking it out!
      ~pam

7. Jacqui permalink
    February 2, 2010 1:30 pm

This is beautiful 🙂

I will be interested in your following pentagon shapes and how they are created. Will they be individual pieces or or do you plan to join them together in some way at the end?

• pamela penney permalink
      February 2, 2010 9:56 pm

12 pentagons will fit together to make a dodechahedron. (think similar to a soccer ball shape) So that is my plan to somehow make a 3-D shape with them all pieced together in the end. It will be interesting to see if my plan will work. I assume I will have to stuff it in someway. And I’m not exactly sure how large a “ball” it will make in the end…..stay tuned!

thanks for checking it out!
      ~pam

8. February 3, 2010 2:49 am

How lovely and creative this is!!!! On pieces like this, that aren’t so obviously journaling, I always wonder what is underneath what I can see… In your case, why a pentagon? Why white? Is it snowflake and winter or possible something deeper???? Don’t feel obligated to have any meaning at all… it’s not required… I guess it’s just my personal belief that everything happens for a reason. Back to what I can see… I’m in awe of your knitting skills!

Robin A.